It is recommended to check your air filter at least once a month to see if it is dirty. A dirty air filter can cause a number of problems including, poor air quality, reduced airflow, cooling inefficiency, and a higher energy bill due to your HVAC system having to work harder to blow air. Below is a picture of a clean air filter next to a dirty one to give an idea of how dirty your filter can get.
The first thing you need to do is determine which air filter you have and its size. Once you have the correct filter:
- Turn off your HVAC system.
- Carefully remove the old filter.
- Clean the filter area and surrounding equipment with a cloth or paper towel.
- Insert the filter with arrows pointing towards the airflow direction.
If you happen to have a reusable air filter:
- Remove the dirty filter.
- Clean the filter frame with a cloth or vacuum.
- Rinse the filter using a hose.
- Soak or scrub the filter using a water and vinegar solution to eliminate bacteria.
- Let filter air dry.
- Once dry, reinsert the filter.
If you have any other questions about your air filter or you want to get advice from professionals, Right Now Air & Solar is here to help!