Is your home ready for this summer’s heat? Check out these tips on ways to keep your home cool this summer. Be prepared so you don’t have to be uncomfortable.
- Test your air conditioner to make sure it is working, change your air filter, and remove any debris or obstructions on your outside unit. We recommend having HVAC maintenance done by a professional to check refrigerant levels and to catch any other serious issues before it gets too hot.
- Avoid hot air leaking into your home through doors, windows, and attic entryways by sealing cracks, crevices, and holes with weather stripping, caulk, or spray foam.
- Install a programmable thermostat so you can customize your air conditioning schedule based on your individual needs.
- Reduce air conditioner use and save money by having a QuietCool® whole house fan installed. Learn more about how a QuietCool® whole house fan works.
- Keep curtains and blinds closed during the day to block out heat from direct sunlight. You can also invest in thermal or blackout curtains that are specifically designed to insulate your house from the sun.
- Change your ceiling fan direction. During the winter your fan should rotate clockwise to help distribute heat that has risen. During the summer your fan should run counter-clockwise at higher speeds to be a breeze going.
- Get your air ducts tested for leaks and have your attic checked for proper insulation. Properly sealed ducts and adequate insulation will help keep cool air from escaping out of your home and prevent warm air from getting in.
- Keep room doors in your house open. When you leave the doors open, cool air is given the ability to move more quickly and efficiently throughout your home. Closed doors will prevent cool air from circulating in your home and causes your air conditioner to work harder thus increasing your energy costs.
- Delay heat-generating activities such as dishwashing, clothes washing, and baking until the evening on hot days.
- Turn off/replace incandescent lights. Incandescent light bulbs create a nice ambiance in the home but they also emit a lot of heat. One or two lamps won’t make your house unbearable, but if you run on incandescent, swap a few out for cooler, more energy-efficient bulbs.
Right Now Air & Solar wants you to be cool and comfortable every summer. We can help by performing maintenance on your HVAC system to ensure it’s working properly and we are happy to answer any other questions you have about keeping your home cool and energy efficient. Our STAR program provides more than just twice yearly maintenance. Learn more about our STAR program.